Monday 4 July 2011

Lightbulb Moments!

  Each day here continues to re-shape  my view on myself as a human being and my realizations.  It's remarkable that after 53 years I really had no idea of how most of the people on the planet live.  I always knew that I was a good person who cared for other people and I always thought of myself as a kind and caring person.  But..............  Yes, we all see CNN and the other news of wordly hardships, but I must say that until I actually lived here I did not ever really appreciate how much wastage I was responsible for in my lifetime and just how impatient I have been.  I used to complain when things were not done immediately and then complain again when not done to my level of perfection.  Basically a spoiled brat!   I don't blame myself totally -  I had no way of knowing how many other people live...........after all, growing up in Georgetown Ontario didn't allow you that type of exposure.  Sure, Greg and I have travelled alot to second and third world countries, but living in one and vacationing in one are two totally different things!  We are beginning to melt into our new culture day by day.  Each new Mexican local that we encounter and get to know is another eye opener into our own selves.......... 
I love Mexico.  The thing I find the most humbling are the people.  The Mexican families cherish each other  ..............they have little to nothing in terms of monatary things............they pride themselves on "having a job" - most jobs here are hard labor - no big machinery here -  most things are still done by hand - the men are hard workers to bring home pesos for their families.  Sundays are family day - families gather together - aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, grandparents - the ladies of the family prepare food and picnics.............the men enjoy time together playing with the children.  It is a very different culture here - really reminds me of the "Leave it to Beaver" days.   Simple times, simple pleasures....  I am very much enjoying sharing needed things with the few local Mexicans that we have come to know.  Nothing extravant, a few tylenol for a hurting tradesman, a dress that no longer fits for the maids teenage daughter,  or a casserole of left over Sunday dinner whipped up into a concoction that you know their family of 8 will enjoy!  The economy here for the Mexicans is bleak.  Most of this is due to the U.S. downward economy.  Many Americans who use to come are not.  Canadians are flocking in buying up alot of the properties.  Good news for the local talent here.  Gardeners and Maids are plentyful and those that have jobs take very good care to keep them.
I love this culture and I love what it is doing for my heart and soul.  Our spanish impoves day by day and we are beginning to feel at home.   Although there are days that I miss Canada - (like when we hung up our Canadian flag for Canada Day and Greg and I sang O`Canada) I am fast feeling very at home in our new world.
The world is shrinking, in my mind at least!

No comments:

Post a Comment